Don’t Forget Your Neck and Décolleté

🕐 3 min read

person holding white plastic bottle pouring white liquid on white ceramic mug

Okay, real talk: for the longest time, I was that person who slathered serums and SPF all over my face, and then just… stopped at my jawline. Like, my neck and chest were just out here, fending for themselves. It wasn't until I noticed a little bit of crepiness on my collarbone area last summer that I had a full-on beauty panic. I literally grabbed my face moisturizer and apologized to my neck. So, lesson learned. If you're ready to give the girls (your neck and décolleté) the love they deserve, keep scrolling.

Why This Area Ages Faster

Here’s the tea, and it’s not super fun. The skin on your neck and chest is actually thinner and has fewer oil glands than the skin on your face. That means it can dry out faster and show signs of aging, like fine lines and that dreaded "tech neck" crease, way sooner. Plus, we’re constantly looking down at our phones or sleeping in weird positions. It’s just not fair. But the good news? The same habits that keep your face glowing will save your neck and chest, too. You just have to be a little more intentional about it.

My Simple Three-Step Routine

I don’t do anything crazy fancy. I literally just extend my skincare routine down, and I swear it makes a difference. Here’s exactly what I do every single day:

  • Cleanse and Exfoliate: When I wash my face at night, I take the cleanser down to my collarbones. Easy peasy. Then, once or twice a week, I use a gentle physical scrub or a lactic acid toner on my neck and chest. A little texture can build up here, and exfoliating helps keep things smooth.
  • Hydrate Like You Mean It: After my serums (hyaluronic acid or a peptide one is great here), I apply my moisturizer all the way down. I actually keep a separate, slightly richer cream for this area because my face moisturizer sometimes isn't enough. A nice squalane or ceramide cream works wonders. Don’t forget to go upward! I always, always sweep products up from my collarbones toward my chin.
  • SPF is Non-Negotiable: This is the biggest game-changer. If you’re not putting sunscreen on your neck and chest, you’re missing a huge step. I apply a generous layer of my face SPF every single morning, even if I’m just sitting by a window. Sun damage is the #1 cause of crepey skin here, so do not skip it for even one day.

Extra TLC for That Feeling of Luxury

Sometimes, I like to treat my neck and décolleté to a little spa moment at home. On a Sunday night, I’ll apply a sheet mask to my face and then use the leftover essence from the packet to massage my neck and chest. It feels so good. I also have this little gua sha tool that I keep in the fridge. On warm mornings, I’ll run it from my collarbones up to my chin a few times. It helps with any puffiness and just feels insanely refreshing. You don’t need anything expensive—a simple jade roller or even just using your thumbs to gently press and glide upward does the trick.

how to take care of neck and decollete

And can we talk about sleeping positions for a second? I try my best to sleep on my back (key word: try). It’s not easy if you’re a side sleeper like me, but it does reduce those sleep lines on your chest over time. I’ll also sometimes use a silk pillowcase—it’s gentler on the skin and helps prevent creasing.

My final, personal recommendation: Don’t make this complicated. Just start by bringing your face moisturizer and SPF down to your chest. That’s it. Do that for a week and you’ll already feel more taken care of. Your neck and décolleté have been holding your head up and showing off your necklaces for years. They deserve a little love too.

beauty tips, skincare, makeup, take, care, neck

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Body Butter vs. Lotion: Your Skin's Best Friend

The Pre-Makeup Skin Prep That Actually Works

Dry Skin? These Drugstore Moisturizers Work